Auditory Processing Disorder

Educating Children With Auditory Processing Disorders

An individual with an auditory processing disorder may have trouble learning under normal classroom conditions. In fact, many school districts fail to provide the educational opportunities or methods that have been proven effective for these students.

I am Joseph M. Fein, a dedicated and experienced education attorney. I help children with auditory processing disorders secure the necessary educational support they require.

The Law Offices of Joseph M. Fein has offices in Cedarhurst and New York City (516-881-9558 ), and has helped countless families in Long Island and throughout the New York area.

What Is Auditory Processing Disorder?

Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) is a term used to describe a number of problems associated with the processing of auditory information. In general, the brain cannot properly process information associated with hearing. Subsequently, a child with APD can have difficulty succeeding in a traditional classroom setting.

How Educators Can Help Your Child Learn

Children with APD are often misdiagnosed as having ADHD or simply being lazy. However, once APD is properly diagnosed, it is much easier to address any educational issues the child may be facing. Some effective ways to educate a child with APD include:

  • Chunking — Presenting information one concept at a time and grouping information in a logical way
  • Pre-teaching — Introducing a topic before it is discussed in a classroom
  • Post-teaching — Following up after a classroom lecture to answer questions or clarify any points of confusion

Children with APD can be successful in the classroom, but teachers need to be patient and understanding. In addition, auditory processing disorders need to be diagnosed by highly competent professionals. Many times, school districts will employ a speech therapist to do an evaluation of APD. However, this evaluation should only be conducted by a professional who specializes in APD.

How We Can Help

Does your child have APD? Is he or she having trouble learning in a traditional classroom environment?

Children with APD or a learning disability need modified education. I can help ensure that your child receives an education specially tailored to his or her unique interests, and has access to appropriate programs and resources. I will also provide representation regarding disciplinary matters your child faces. No matter the situation, I am fully committed to helping your child succeed both in and out of the classroom.

Contact A Dedicated Lawyer Today

If your child has auditory processing disorder, but is not receiving adequate services, help is available. To discuss your concerns with a special education lawyer, contact me by phone, fax or email. Call the Law Offices of Joseph M. Fein at 516-881-9558 (in Cedarhurst and in New York City). I provide representation across the five boroughs. I can arrange evening and weekend appointments.